Monday, May 16, 2011

The tortured artist syndrome.

From the outside it all looks simple and I am sure that 'normal' people - ie those who don't have pretensions to leaving the workaday behind and being a full time musical artiste - get tired of hearing artists, musicians, actors etc complaining about how hard their jobs are. I,myself, have, on occasions, also got exasperated by the drama queens. 


How it seems from the outside: people get paid far too much for being little more than the focus of attention and adulation, having a great life doing exactly what they want to and sharing their pensees with the world. And that's pretty much what I am aiming at, give or take a million or two and the odd drawer of lingerie. 


The thing is, it really is difficult to hold down a full time job and groom oneself for that big opportunity to strut one's stuff before a public on the verge of helplessness with gratitude and adoration. 


The working life I am desperate to leave behind in order to function as your musical prozac, 8 oysters to a bar and little dose of insight into the workings of the human psyche (where its dealings with life and love are concerned) is teaching. It leaves me flat-out exhausted. Everyone wants your ass for something and it always has to be done now.


When I get home, what I really need to do is sit and rest for a few hours. What I need to do is practice my guitar playing, bass-playing, singing, the songs I put in my repertoire and write new material. 


That's without the grooming sessions, dance lessons, photo-sessions and managing my own career from my front room and laptop. (Ok so I lied about the grooming sessions: I was aiming more at a cross between Barry White and J.J. Cale.) That's a second full-time job. And when the glorious public, whom we all want to serve, pays their hard-earned to see you deliver on all these fronts, ain't no-one going to accept excuses on the grounds that your full time gig is wearing you out. 


Maybe I am just trying to do too much. Perhaps I should settle down with the pipe and slippers. Naah! I am hoping for a seamless transition but somehow I don't see it coming like that. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment